Website ECOM West Africa
Background- ECOM Agro-industrial Corporation
ECOM Agro-industrial Corp. Ltd is a leading global commodity merchant and sustainable supply
chain management company.
As an origin-integrated business operating in over 40 major commodity-producing countries worldwide, ECOM focuses primarily on coffee, cotton, and cocoa, and is also diversified in selected other agricultural products and services markets.
ECOM West Africa (WECOM) works in a selection of communities that produce and trade major international commodities. WECOM contributes to the prosperity of its host communities by providing products and services that enable farmers to increase household incomes, build income resilience, improve, and sustain community access to social services. WECOM works with over 150,000 smallholder farmers in West Africa, through its Sustainable Management Services (SMS) division.
Background- SMS, West Africa
SMS executes high-quality sustainability programs to raise farmers’ productivity and prosperity through tailored training and supply of specific products and services (including agro-inputs and financial services).
Further SMS delivers or catalyzes the delivery of social products and services that support the prosperity of host communities. SMS contributes to WECOM’s goals and objectives by using data and market insights to inform the development and delivery of products and services to farmers/farmer communities, and to catalyze the continuous improvement of WECOM’s performance.
Background- SMS, West Africa, Data Insights
As part of ECOM’s data system’s strengthening efforts, the digitization of data collected through standard data collection tools and centrally stored in an accessible database that can be used in automated reports is a key milestone.
The Data Insights team is currently looking for a data analysts/engineer to strengthen efforts to build, optimize data pipelines, maintain, and distribute data and valuable insights to support operations and decision-makers throughout the organization.
In-depth understanding of data handling and modeling techniques and the ability to perform in a team is critical to success in this role. Having a skilled and dedicated resource for designing, building, and optimizing systems for data retrieval, storage, and analytics at scale is a key part of Data Insights’ strengthening efforts. This person will work closely with the regional team in West Africa, to ensure that the data extraction, transformation, analysis, and reporting are developed according
to the agreed internal standards and with high quality.
Scope of work
The following will be the main responsibilities of the Data Insights Data Analyst/Engineer, Ghana.
● Build and maintain the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and
loading of data (ETL) from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and ‘big data’
● Work with stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their
data infrastructure needs.
● Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data
● Provide solutions to business problems using data analysis, data mining, optimization
tools, statistical modelling, and machine learning techniques.
● Understand a business problem and the available data and identify what analytics and
modeling techniques can be applied to answer a business question.
● Actively seek opportunities to innovate by using non-traditional data and new analytics
● Continuously develop strong modelling skills and become comfortable owning data and
working from concept through to execution.
● Be accountable for high-quality deliverables by understanding and balancing the
competing demands for project scope and time.
● Actively participate in the design and development of a data quality system.
● Participate in the consolidation of inputs from Data Insights and other teams for
● Develop and consolidate reports for different stakeholders according to their needs.
● Execute data requests for WAF from the DI requirements system.
● Support the creation of data collection tools.
● Design and build automated reports and dashboards.
● Support the documentation of DI processes and tools.
● Train Data Insights team’s staff in Python and other data management tools
Qualifications and requirements
The Data Insights Data Analyst / Engineer, West Africa must meet the following qualifications.
● Bachelor’s in computer science, data science, statistics, or quantitative field is required.
● Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
● Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency,
and workload management.
● A successful history of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large,
● Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes
to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
● At least 2 years of experience in applied data analysis with Python and SQL is required.
● Proven experience with other data processing or programming languages advantageous
● Proven experience with Python data management libraries (Pandas, Matplotlib/Seaborn,
Numpy, among others)
● Strong computer skills and ability to use necessary databases and software
● Experience in managing geographical information data and software.
● High communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
● High level of Microsoft Excel
● Excellent teamwork and communication skills
● Excellent time management skills
● Experience with sampling techniques
● Previous experience in the cocoa industry advantageous
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.